Jul 14, 2024  
2021-2022 Shepherd University Catalog 
2021-2022 Shepherd University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Special Nondegree Student

Persons may apply and be considered for admission as special nondegree-seeking students. Special nondegree students may enroll in those courses for which they are qualified. Transcripts may be required to evaluate academic preparation before enrolling special nondegree students in certain courses. A maximum of 15 credit hours may be accumulated, a maximum of 7 credits per term, as a special nondegree student unless the director of admissions makes an exception based on individual circumstances.

If a student enrolled as a special, nondegree student wishes to change his or her enrollment status to that of a degree-seeking student, he or she needs to complete an admissions application form and a change of degree form (available in the Office of Admissions) and submit them along with the $45 admissions application fee to the Office of Admissions with all required credentials (see Admission Requirements ). Students changing degree status must meet all stated admissions requirements as listed in the Catalog at the time the change of degree status is initiated.

High School/University Concurrent Enrollment

Students may choose to be enrolled in both high school and college simultaneously. After the completion of their sophomore year in high school, students are eligible to submit an application for special admission to the university to enroll in freshman-level coursework, provided the student is concurrently enrolled in high school.

Students applying for concurrent enrollment must submit the following documentation for consideration to the Office of Admissions:

  • Completed nondegree application, available in the Office of Admissions or online at www.shepherd.edu/admissions;
  • Official copy of high school transcript indicating a minimum academic grade point average of a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale);
  • Composite ACT score of 21 and/or SAT score of 1000 (critical reading and math combined), PLAN or PSAT equivalents will be accepted;
  • Written recommendation from high school principal and/or counselor.

Transient Student Admission

A transient student is one who is primarily a student at another institution taking courses at Shepherd. Students who desire to enroll as transient students may do so upon the submission of a letter of good standing mailed directly to the Office of Admissions at Shepherd University from the institution which the student last attended. Also required is the submission of a nondegree application for admission at least one month prior to the opening of the semester in which the student decides to enroll. For more information, visit www.shepherd.edu/admissions.

Foreign Exchange Students

Foreign exchange students seeking semester or academic year non-degree study will apply for admission as international students. Depending on the sponsoring organization or partner university, there may be additional requirements for special advance coordination for course selection and proxy registration, on-campus living, internships, and community service hours.