Students should look under
for specific electives if they plan to be certified in health.
In addition to the course work required for this specialization, all prospective candidates are expected to participate in professional growth and service requirements prior to student teaching.
Documentation must be submitted to candidate’s advisor.
Other Requirements for Physical Education Grades PreK-Adult:
I. Academic Requirements
Students in physical education K-12 student teaching specialization must meet the following criteria before enrolling in EDUC 455 - Student Teaching, Grades K-Adult ::
- Earn a GPA of 2.75 in all physical education and professional education courses combined;
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.75 in all course work attempted;
- Satisfy all requirements in the Handbook for Teachers of Health Education and Physical Education; and
- Be interviewed by the HPERS faculty for entrance into the teacher education program (Juncture 1) and student teaching block (Juncture 2).
II. Out-of-Class Requirements for Teaching Physical Education PreK-Adult:
Individual potential as a professional educator will be closely examined as the student progresses through the curriculum. The Pro 05 evaluation form is for this purpose. In addition to the academic requirements, the student must complete any four of the following professional growth experiences:
- Participate for one season as an intercollegiate athlete, manager, or trainer;
- Organize and administer intramurals for one full season;
- Attend a state, district, or national professional physical education conference;
- Attend an elementary physical education conference, i.e., Camp Caesar;
- Participate in a sanctioned workshop or activity related to physical education
See Professional Education course listings under
(34 hours required).
Contact Person: Dr. Rosie Barretta, 205 Butcher Center, 304-876-5144.