Students should look under
for specific electives if they plan to be certified in health.
In addition to the course work required for this specialization, all prospective candidates are expected to participate in professional growth and service requirements prior to student teaching.
Documentation must be submitted to candidate's advisor.
Other Requirements for Physical Education Grades PreK-Adult:
I. Academic Requirements
Students in physical education K-12 student teaching specialization must meet the following criteria before enrolling in EDUC 455 - Student Teaching, Grades K-Adult ::
- Earn a GPA of 2.75 in all physical education and professional education courses combined;
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.75 in all course work attempted;
- Satisfy all requirements in the Handbook for Teachers of Health Education and Physical Education; and
- Be interviewed by the HPERS faculty for entrance into the teacher education program (Juncture 1) and student teaching block (Juncture 2).
II. Out-of-Class Requirements for Teaching Physical Education PreK-Adult:
Shepherd University Physical Education Teacher Education majors are required to participate in a variety of professional growth experiences (beyond the classroom) that support
continued growth as a future educator.
Teacher candidates (TCs) may participate in professional (e.g. webinars, workshops, lectures, etc.), sport-related (e.g. coaching, interscholastic, intramural, intercollegiate
participation, etc.) and/or service-related (community service projects, Relay for Life) experiences to fulfill the professional growth requirements. TCs must participate in
professional growth experiences by completing four of the following, one of which must be from the service-related category.
- Complete the equivalent of 4 hours of physical education and/or health education webinars (documentation through certificates of completion provided through the website).
- Attend the equivalent of 4 hours of physical education and/or health education-related workshops (documentation through copy of the program and sessions attended).
- Complete one season as an intercollegiate athlete, manager, or trainer (documentation through letter from your superior stating successful completion).
- Organize and administer one sport or season of an intramural activity (documentation through letter from your superior stating successful completion).
- Complete one season of coaching or assistant coaching a youth, middle/high school athletics team (documentation through a letter from your superior stating successful completion).
- Volunteer in 4 campus and/or community events (documentation through letter or certificate of participation).
- Serve as a summer camp counselor (documentation through letter from your superior stating successful completion).
- Volunteer in before & after-school programs (documentation through letter from your superior stating successful completion).
- Any other service related event approved by your advisor.
Teacher Candidates are required to verify Adult and Pediatric First Aid, CPR and AED certification through their choice of the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
See Professional Education course listings under
(34 hours required).
Contact Person: Dr. Jared Androzzi, 208 Butcher Center, 304-876-5754.